Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
How to Create Story & Character Conflict with Eileen Cook
Today on the show we have best-selling author and screenwriter Eileen Cook. She is a multi-published, award-winning author with her novels appearing in nine languages. Her books have been optioned for film and TV.
She spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer. She’s an instructor/mentor with The Creative Academy and Simon Fraser University Writer’s Studio Program where she loves helping other writers find their unique story to tell.
Her best-selling book Create Story Conflict: How to increase tension in your writing & keep readers turning pages is a must-read for screenwriters. Here’s a bit about the book:
Conflict is essential to story—regardless of genre. The friction between what a character wants and the lengths they will go to reach that goal is what pulls readers through your book. Great conflict is what leaves readers cheering (or crying) at the end of a story.
Using humor and her deep knowledge of human behavior, counselor and award-winning author Eileen Cook will guide you through the causes of conflict, the differences between internal and external conflict, and show you how conflict resolution techniques can be turned upside down to ramp up the tension in your book.
Filled with practical tips, examples, and prompts, this is a craft book you’ll keep on your shelf to use again and again.
Enjoy my conversation with Eileen Cook.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Bulletproof Screenplay Script Coverage Service – Get Your Screenplay Covered by Industry Pros
- The HartChart Screenwriting Masterclass with James V. Hart writer of Hook, Dracula & Contact
- The Foundations of Screenwriting: Writing for Television & Netflix
- BPS Presents: Writing for Emotional Impact (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING SCREENWRITING EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (On-Demand Real-World Screenwriting Education)
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST
- Download FREE Screenplay Collections
- FREE 3 Part Screenwriting Video Series Taught by Oscar® Winners
- Download Your FREE Screenwriting Audiobook
- Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind™ Podcast
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
If you liked How to Create Story & Character Conflict with Eileen Cook,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed How to Create Story & Character Conflict with Eileen Cook? Please share it on your social networks Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube) by using social media buttons at the bottom of the blog. Or post anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thank you!
We welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Podcasts To Open Your Mind:
Podcast: Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind™
Podcast: Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
Podcast: Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
Podcast: The Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
IFH Podcast Network: Discover the Best Screenwriting and Filmmaking Podcasts
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Indie Film Hustle Academy: Premium Online Screenwriting Courses
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3 Part Screenwriting Video Series Taught by Oscar® Winning Screenwriters