Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
How to Create a Story Map Beat Sheet for TV/Streaming with Daniel Calvisi
Today on the show we bring back author and Story Maps guru Daniel Calvisi. His last episode was one of the most popular in the history of the podcast. The concept of story mapping has been a huge help to so many screenwriters. This is why I wanted to bring him back to discuss how to use his story mapping technique on the television/streaming script. This is based on his best selling book STORY MAPS: TV Drama: The Structure of the One-Hour Television Pilot.
Daniel Calvisi brings his Story Maps screenwriting method to television as he breaks down the structure of the TV drama pilot, citing case studies from the most popular, ground-breaking series of recent years, including THE WALKING DEAD, GAME OF THRONES, HOUSE OF CARDS, TRUE DETECTIVE, BREAKING BAD, MR. ROBOT, SCANDAL, and MAD MEN.
Story Maps: TV Drama offers the first beat sheet for television screenwriters (“Save the Cat” for TV). This is the structural template that aspiring and professional TV writers have been looking for. A clear, practical, step-by-step method for writing a pilot that adheres to Hollywood standards.
How to write a TV pilot has never been easier. Writing a pilot begins here.
This book first introduces you to the key formats, genres, and terminology of modern TV shows then details the major signpost beats of a teleplay and the crucial characteristics that must be present in each act, using specific examples from our new “Golden Age of Television.”
Enjoy my conversation with Daniel Calvisi.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- DONATE to Feed America to help with people affected by Coronavirus
- Daniel Calvisi –Official Site
- Daniel Calvisi –YouTube
- STORY MAPS: How to Write a GREAT Screenplay
- STORY MAPS: TV Drama: The Structure of the One-Hour Television Pilot
- Story Maps: 12 Great Screenplays
- BPS 027: How to Story Map Your Screenplay with Daniel Calvisi
- Bulletproof Screenplay Script Coverage Service – Get Your Screenplay Covered by Industry Pros
- The Foundations of Screenwriting: Story Development
- The Foundations of Screenwriting: Formatting
- BPS Presents: Writing for Emotional Impact (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) FREE AUDIOBOOK
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur™ (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING SCREENWRITING EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (On-Demand Real-World Screenwriting Education)
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- The Script Lab Workshops
- How to Write a FAST Screenplay
- WGA Presents: The Art of Screenwriting
- Screenwriting Masterclass: Crafting Complex Characters
SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST
- Download FREE Screenplay Collections
- FREE 3 Part Screenwriting Video Series Taught by Oscar® Winners
- Download Your FREE Screenwriting Audiobook
- Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind™ Podcast
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
If you liked How to Create a Story Map Beat Sheet for TV/Streaming with Daniel Calvisi,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed How to Create a Story Map Beat Sheet for TV/Streaming with Daniel Calvisi? Please share it on your social networks Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube) by using social media buttons at the bottom of the blog. Or post anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thank you!
We welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Podcasts To Open Your Mind:
Podcast: Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind™
Podcast: Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
Podcast: Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
Podcast: The Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
IFH Podcast Network: Discover the Best Screenwriting and Filmmaking Podcasts
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Indie Film Hustle Academy: Premium Online Screenwriting Courses
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3 Part Screenwriting Video Series Taught by Oscar® Winning Screenwriters